Friday, October 5, 2012
It's The Big Race Weekend!
This weekend is the Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 race.
This is the 50th year, and it is shaping up to be an amzing one! Alan and I will be watching it on the TV (you see more that way) right through the weekend, so not much work will be done around here....
Alan follows the V8's all year, I just like to watch Bathurst.
There's a great Facebook page all about it HERE
The Mountain overlooks Bathurst, and is well known in Australia, as it is where the Bathurst 1000, for V8 cars motor race is held on the second weekend each October.
In 1938, the circuit that we see today, was officially opened, and in 1973, the 1st, 1000km race, the Hardie Ferodo 1000 took place. Later events have taken the name of whoever the Sponsor for that year is.
• The Racing circuit is 6.2 kms long.
• 2003 and GREG MURPHY, became the fastest man to complete a lap of the circuit in the time of 2.06.8594 in the “Top ten shoot out.”
• The current race lap record of 2.08.4651 was set by Jamie Wihincup in 2007.
• The “Mount” is the only major racing circuit that is a public road outside of race time.
• In his lifetime,”Peter Brock” won Bathurst 9 times, a feat that still has not been beaten.
• The highest point is 874mtrs above sea level.
The track is a demanding one and has taken its toll on the visiting racers, with 15 competitors losing their lives since it began in 1938.
Expect to be in amongst a crowd of 200,000 plus.... people when you are a spectator at the track over the weekend.