Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A "Sort Of" Tutorial.

I had to make a new table runner for our glass topped table, so that I could wash the old one!





Can you see how dirty it is? I certainly could!

So anyhow, I decided to try this jelly roll friendly runner that I have seen previously on the internet. So this is how I made mine:

 I chose 6 fabrics from the jelly roll, actually I chose more because I did 3 lengths. I sewed them together in 6’s.

I then pressed both from behind, putting all the seams in the one direction,
and from the front, using plenty of starch
  
 
I evened up all the ends.

I then cut my lengths to make a square – 6 jelly roll lengths gives just under 12”, so I cut the lengths into 12” squares.

I then sewed all the squares together in one long length, alternating horizontal with vertical strips. It pays to measure the table at this point, so you know how long to go!
Then pressed madly again with starch.

I cut my backing fabric, and with right sides facing, I attached it to the runner along three sides, using
the usual 1/4” seam

 
Turned it outside in, or inside out, whichever, poking the ends out on the far end with the scissors.

 Turned the top end over and sewed it shut.

 
Did I do good with that?

I've also finished a scarf for my friend who has a birthday next month.  I've put the pic on the Knitting and Crochet page!

Technorati Tags: ,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done Shaz that went very well.
Love Jeanie Beanie xoxox

Unknown said...

Well done :) good to see we have converted you to table runners.
Hugs Tanya

Bron said...

Great job...I have one of these on my summer to do list for our big outside table.
Thanks for sharing. x